Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grand Rapids and Problem Solving.

So I started this blog for a couple reasons:

1) Because companies are always looking online at prospective hires to get a better understanding of them and I wanted to have a good presence.

2) So my Mom would be able to keep tabs on me without us playing phone tag (I just love her and want her to not worry*)

Today was an epic day. So yesterday ended alright. I went and worked out, got some dinner and then went to bed. Life was good. I slept good and woke up and went to work. Have you ever heard the stand up routine by Chris Rock where he talks about how Martin Luther King Boulevard are always the most dangerous streets in any city? Today I worked on Rosa Parks, it was pretty scary, not to mention it was a train yard...I made it out of Detroit alive though.

The audit today flew. Everything was ready, and everything looked good. I hated to do it and tried not to but I gave out a perfect score. Let's hope I don't get any flack for it, it isn't like it is that big of a deal because the way it is structured. Savage has quite a few controls to test and make sure the big expenditures are done right, most of the problems we run into are in relation to those things. The operations I am visiting are hybrid operations, it isn't a joint venture exactly but pretty dang close. So all the really expensive stuff goes through the other guy. Where the only things that really I look at are expense reports, basically gas receipts for manager vehicles and uniform fees, and a credit card with a $2500 limit. Really simple.

So then I drove across the State of Michigan and stopped at the Grand Rapids office. I worked there and had some good laughs, the manager there was really nice and very funny. He gave me a lot of good background on the hybrid operation and how it works exactly because he has been there through quite a few different similar arrangements. Again today everyone I met with this company, some of the nicest and most cordial people ever.

I got to my hotel and relaxed, caught up on some sleep, got a good work out in and had some good food. I got an email from my travel agent regarding my credit card and what was going on with it, they couldn't figure it out and asked me to call my credit card company and get more information. So I call Chase, girls answers the phone.

me: (very nice tone) I called yesterday about a problem and I need more information so I can fix it
girl: yea I don't know what to tell you that isn't a problem, those charges usually drop off as soon as we cancel them, why would you think that is a problem?
me: because you told me it was.
girl: sorry we did
me: sorry I trusted you guys
me: (thinking) don't lose it on this girl
girl: . . . oh . . . sorry you feel that way
me: thank you have a good day

So after the travel agent spent a good amount of time today trying to fix my problem, it really wasn't a problem. Thanks Chase you just wasted my life.

So since then my mind has been on this situation and what has come out of it. I came up with a really good realization. I hate problems, when they happen I try to fix them as fast as possible so they aren't on my plate anymore. I need to take a step back, let the problem hang over my head for a little bit. Then I need to come up with a solution, I need to not try and fix the whole problem in the first instance. Sometimes I see these big problems and I either freak out and do nothing or I freak out and fix it all. When I do nothing that obviously isnt a good solution but when I try and fix it too fast that just causes more problems. My Mission President said, "slow is fast and fast is slow." I have struggled to apply that ever since I have heard it and it always comes back to bite me in the butt.

Here is too better problem solving.

No comments:

Post a Comment