Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Amarillo by morning ... maybe early evening....

So this morning I left on another adventure. It started well with a quick trip to Ghetto mall that is going through a major face lift right now. They are even getting an In-N-Out, and WVCPD setup a shop in the mall complete with three segways. Despite this incredible effort, I will never allow a loved one to go there without someone packing. If it hadn't been a huge emergency and I wasn't on the way to the airport I would have never set foot in there. Moral of the story: Stay away from Ghetto Mall.

So I was going to check in at home and I didn't have a seat assignment on the flight from Dallas to Amarillo. No biggie half my flights don't have seat assignments but I guess American won't let you check in online. In big bold letters it said please proceed to the nearest American Airlines ticket counter for ticket information. I was like what??? So I goto the airport early expecting a hassle from them. Like I got there two hours (like TSA recommends) early only to be directed to a kiosk where I enter the same information and get my boarding pass. Not to mention SLC airport security lines are actually efficient and so it took me 10 minutes. So I get on the other side of security with 2 hours to kill basically....um....yea.

So the flight to Dalls is uneventful, there were some missionaries on the flight on their way to South America. So I slept like a baby knowing there is now way the plane is crashing. I get to the gate in Dallas and get my seat. Get in the plane, it was pretty small and I kept hitting my head in the aisle. I sit down and we taxi around for 30 minutes. Finally the captain says there are bad thunderstorms so we are trying to find a path around it. We take off, I don't think they found the path around the storms...judging by the turbulence that rocked me to sleep. I just remember praying that I could fall asleep and live through the ride. I have alot of practice with prayers like that after being on road trips with Brain.

I finally land in Amarillo, get my car and a nice upgrade for free since they were out of intermediate cars. My hotel is right by a couple sweet places.
This is where I had dinner at, cute little place too much meat and not enough flavor though.
As I drove down the freeway to the hotel I saw a sign for a building I had to stop at for my brother and nephew. The AQHA international headquarters are located in Amarillo, a block from my hotel this sign was outside. There is a museum that I will try and visit tomorrow after work.

This is a monument dedicated to the first ever registered quarter horse.

Amarillo is fun. I just miss home already. This summer has just begun though that's the rough part.

1 comment: