Sunday, May 2, 2010

Freedom

So I got out of class on the 21st of April. It was an epic day. I was very excited to be done and looked forward to the R&R I would be getting before I started my summer internship. Boy was I in for a surprise.

Wednesday night I went and bought a motorcycle, it was a great buy and I have been really pleased with it. I bought an '83 Yamaha Virago 750. So Wednesday night in the cold I rode it home from Orem. It was a fun drive.


Here it is in all it's glory.

I have since repainted the tank, changed out a couple parts, and become very familiar with this bike. I have spent about 20 hours so far of work on it, it makes it nice because when I bought the bike the guy I got it from took really good care of it and now it feels like this is my bike. I am excited considering I learned how to ride a bike less than a week before I bought this one.

This is the painting process, my roommate works at a bodyshop so we got a good deal on painting the tank. And by good I mean free. Well I mean I traded him for it. I took him fishing, so it was a win-win because I got a new paint job and got to go fishing. I wish all deals worked out so well.

The before shot

After we stripped the paint off, there was quite a bit of rust.


Totally clean

First coat: Etching primer, makes the paint stick to the metal
primer base
Primer Sealant; if I still lived in my parents neighborhood I would stop here and drive it this color for the duration of my bike's life.
The base coats

All clear coated

So on Thursday I spent the majority of my day getting the thing put in my name, insured, getting my motorcycle learner's permit, and fishing among other things.

Which brings me to my next time consumer. My brother Brian and I both start new jobs this next week. So we both have been fishing most mornings the past two weeks. It is about the only time I really enjoy fishing during the year because we just seem to kill them when the ice is coming off. We went Thursday with my Dad and we all caught a couple, no keepers but fun nonetheless. I went probably 5 other times with just Brian, and once with my roommates.

Our latest haul
Two monsters I caught

So Friday was Mal's graduation, good job. So proud she graduated with all them boys. Some future space scientist spoke. He made a joke, and everyone started laughing except Greg, Matt, Becky and I. Greg turned to me and asked me what he missed, and honestly I had no idea, I said I don't know I don't speak nerd. Funny how Brian was the only one to get the joke in our family...


So between Mal's pre-graduation, fishing, and this motorcycle of mine it has been a busy two weeks. To cap it all off, my brother blessed his daughter today. I am really looking forward to starting my job and relaxing.



2 comments:

  1. I think it was something about turning a toaster into a laser gun. Something hilarious like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that toaster into a laser gun joke never gets old!

    Dude, I loved the pics of painting the tank. And your whitewood ward neighborhood shout out ;)

    ReplyDelete