Monday, August 9, 2010

Canada

So I started my last trip with a bang this morning. I got up and got to the airport and I went to check-in at the kiosk hoping to get an exit row seat. None were available. Well when I went to go check-in the line was at the end of the maze, pretty long but nothing I couldn't get through. Well so as I am checking in since I was going internationally I had to scan my passport. Well the kiosk was having issues reading my passport so it took me a while to get my boarding passes. Well I turn around and what has happened. The line is all the way to the short term parking. Anyone who has flown out of Salt Lake knows this is unheard of. I have been spoiled with the longest I had to wait was twenty minutes once. So I am like are you kidding me? I start in line, get about 5 spots up and I hear the TSA lady on the radio, "yea there isn't a line over at the international terminal". So I book it over there. Ahhh, to be in security for only 5 minutes.

The flights went by so fast. I packed only religious readings and after a while like my Dad says you can ruin a day with too much religion. I just think my mind was weary from the deep thinking. And there was a lot of it. They were mostly self help topics, I am always trying to improve and so they had a lot to do with that so it wasn't too bad.

I land in Montreal. Nothing is in English, no one is speaking English. I am dying. I wander around with a bunch of people until I finally get to the rental car place. The lady goes uhhh let me call and get you a car up right away. I say alright. She is like we are out let me go borrow one from Avis. I say okay. She goes uhhh it will be a bit they are running low also. Just then some guy brings back a sweet new ride. Can I get an upgrade, upgrade....for free? Yes please! So I am in a new Sonata. I love my job.

It is interesting to think that this is my last trip. I have three more flights, I bet one gets messed up for sure, and a couple more hotel nights and then this job is done. This summer has gone by way too fast.

I have been thinking a lot about a career and I know earlier I said I was dedicating myself to a career in public accounting. I think I need to change that. I realized this last week that I enjoy finding problems, but I hate handing them off to someone else to fix. I want to fix things. I always try and fix everything around me, sometimes I am really good and sometimes I am really bad but I still love fixing things. I love my job because I find out problems, inefficiences that put the company in a position to be hurt. I love finding them, I hate handing them over to someone and just saying yea sorry I found this problem do something about it. I want the job that finds and solves, or at the very least solves. I want to be on the forefront of day to day decisions and operations. I think me not getting in the Masters program at BYU was sign that the Lord knew I would want this also and protected me from going down a career path I might regret.

So here it is to changing again. The only good thing about this is that no matter what, I know I will be successful. As a Phillips I am blessed with an innate drive, that results in knowing that whatever comes across my path I will be able to beat. I will struggle, but there is nothing in this world that can stop me. I look forward to the job hunt, and in any other trial out there foolish enough to get in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment