Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Own the night, like the 4th of July

This quote really touched my heart when Chad Lewis used it to close out Stadium of Fire on Saturday night, after B Paisley rocked the house. Nothing I love more than country music, summer nights, fireworks, and this country. I love the month of July. For a couple reasons.

1. The fourth of July is always a fun holiday. Nothing can top celebrating the USA. Nothing. I love this country and I love going to celebrations that focus on it and everything that has gone on with this country. One of my favorite memories was the second summer I was back from my mission we did the framing for Greg's shed on the 4th. It was a lot of hot work but awesome to see things come together. I look forward to 4th of July projects every year now. What better way to celebrate and honor the hard work that people before me have done than to do some of my own.

2. Rodeos. I tried to find the perfect Chris Ledoux lyric to show my joy but I couldn't. It is a toss up between 4th of July Rodeos and Mighty Lucky Man. I just love them. The Draper Days rodeo has become a tradition for me and two good friends from college where we get together every year and attend. It is this Friday and I am so excited. Not as excited as Gini is because this year we have health insurance...bring on the wild cows!

3. The 24th of July. Basically in Utah July is a month long firework fest. This year they decided to put it on steroids by making most fireworks legal here. No more trips to Wyoming for most folks. If this had happened 10 years ago I would be in heaven. I would be blowing stuff up all summer long. Well they aren't as fun as they use to be when they are being set off all dang night. Gini and I went to a movie last night because we were sick of fireworks and knew if we went to bed before midnight we wouldn't be able to fall asleep because it would sound like we were living in downtown Baghdad. (not only was it the best time to go to a movie but it was a really good movie, go see Larry Crowne when you can, I have never not wanted a movie to end so bad in my whole life.) But more importantly this celebrates the pioneers in my life. It is awesome time to think of all my ancestors who crossed the plains and spread out all up and down this state. Craziness.

4. The number one thing about July is that my countdown to bow hunting begins. This year is going to be awesome. Greg is healthy, I got a new rest, and I can focus on what I am doing without worrying about what I missing in school. Oh baby I am sooooooooo excited.

So here is to the month of July, she started off good, lets just ride this wave to an awesome August.

3 comments:

  1. Dude. You like Larry Crowne?? Well I loved Julia Roberts and her interaction with her husband but Tom Hanks' story was the dumbest. I guess you can have your opinion since we live in America. And my mind is blown thinking of "illegal" fireworks in Utah. You were deprived. Sorry bro. But seriously Brian would have burned the entire west side down if those things were illegal when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete