Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Good Times

So things have been going awesome, super busy but awesome. Between this week and next, I have two 3-5 page papers due, 4 tests, a 2 page case study, other various assignments, and more volleyball than I know what to do with. PS Go Bengals. Anyways, I have been uber busy but the job offer from Navistar has been consistently on my mind. On Tuesday Elder Costa of the Seventy came and spoke on campus. He talked about leaving the harbor of safety and enjoying the voyage of life outside of Utah. I felt so strongly that I need to look at jobs outside of Utah and I felt really good about Navistar. That night Gini and I were talking about me taking the job at Navistar, I felt good about it and really like the offer. I told her I was probably going to call them tomorrow (today) and commit. She told me to wait a little bit and go to the temple first. I was kinda surprised but I agreed and so I put it off. I planned on going either Thursday or this weekend. Well tonight something amazing happened.

Gini and I were sitting at my house just chatting when my phone rang, I didn't recognize the number but I answered anyways. I hear a familiar voice on the phone say hey Eric how is it going this is Sam. Sam was a BYU alum that I interviewed with last Friday from Disney. In their park and recreation department. I know such a hard job. The conversation proceeded thus:

Me: Sam how are you?
Sam: I am doing great how are you?
Me: Crazy with school but good now that I am not sick anymore, (he told me during the interview he would call and let me know either yes or no)
Sam: Hey we want to have you out to Orlando on the 15th and 16th for second round interviews Me (in my mind): What the fetch, are you kidding me? I thought you were calling to tell me thanks but no thanks
Me (from my mouth): Whoa that would be awesome, lets do it.
Sam: Here is the information
Gini (in her mind): I hope he gets a job with Disney so I get in free to Disneyland
Gini (in her mouth): Congrats Eric

So we both are kinda surprised and we start talking about what to do with Navistar and Disney now knocking on my door. When my phone rings again I see it is an 800 number and I was like hrm I guess Sam is calling me back. I answer

Me: Hello
Man: Is this Eric Phillips?
Me: Yes
Man: Hi my name is Stuart, I am with Dell
Me: (looking incredibly shocked) Hey Stuart how are you?
Stu: We want to have you out for interviews on the 18th and 19th
Me: Done, what do I have to do
Stu: I'll email you
Me: Stu great talking to you talk to you soon

These conversations were a little more full and exciting than this but I just shortened it up for you. When I got off the phone with Dell I looked at Gini and she was all smiles, which is probably what I was. It was so nuts. Then she screamed and ran into my arms, it was magical. So we are both just shocked because in a fifteen minute time window, I got two invites for second round interviews.

So that week is going to be nuts, Monday and Tuesday in Florida; Thursday and Friday in Texas. Good thing I worked at Savage this last summer and this trip is cake.

So it just got me thinking about how blessed I am. I wanted to find a job outside Utah to start my career and I have been blessed with some wonderful opportunities to do just that. I think of all the kids from the Marriott School who have no job offers, let alone no second round interviews and it just floors me that I have one offer already and two second round interviews coming up. In the words of one of my blog inspirators, I am seriously so blessed.

So my living options for next year just grew, from Chicago based, to now include Orlando, FL; Austin, TX; Anaheim, CA; and Burbank, CA. Life is really good for me right now. I can't express in words how grateful I am for the many blessings God has given me in my life right now. I am shocked that of so many wonderful candidates I have been selected for the processes I have been chosen for. I don't think it is anything I have done, I really owe it all to God for these great opportunities.

I'll keep you updated.

4 comments:

  1. i love disneyland.
    congrats eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! We are so proud of you. If you HAVE to live outside of Utah, I would say Disney is the clear choice. (That is if you want your nieces and nephew to visit you every other month.)

    However, I wouldn't mind a new laptop every year for Christmas, either. Dell might not be such a bad choice.

    Hmmm...tempting, but I'm still going for Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the exact same thought process as Nat, I'll round up some nieces and nephews too if you go Disney ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about rounding up some cool aunts to go with ya? :-)

    ReplyDelete