Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Life in Luleå Sweden (no there isn't anything wrong with the å)

After a long hiatus I decided to start blogging again.

So on Monday I moved across the pond for three weeks to get everything setup before Gini and Owen move over. It was really sad to leave knowing I wouldn't be back this weekend and would be gone for the two after that as well. However, I am married to the sweetest girl in the world who took the time before I left to create a note for everyday )and one for every layover on the way home) about memories she has of us dating to keep me company on my trip. They have been heaven sent reminders of how lucky I am to be married to such an amazing woman. 

Enough gushy stuff, I packed up three suitcases and had Gini drop me off at the airport. I traveled via Chicago and it was a pleasant trip. Salt Lake was in a horrid cold spell right before I left and when I landed in Sweden it seemed warm compared to where I was coming from. When I first got in town I was picked up at the airport by my boss, and then we went around and picked up my car, got the key to my apartment, and did some other necessary shopping (like buying a bed). Here are some pictures of my first day.


This first picture is from the balcony of our apartment and looks out over the city center. They have a ton of snow here so it is just so bright even at night because of the reflection. Even though it felt warmer than Utah that isn't saying much, it is still really cold. Since it is so cold frost and snow stick to everything; all of the trees usually have a good coating of white stuff all winter long. It makes everything look so pretty, like right out of a book.



This is another view from our apartment. That is the cathedral that is covered in frost it looked pretty neat at night. 



This is the road into my office. On the right side is the new server farm for Facebook, if you look closely at the top of the building you can see overhangs, those are vents. The have large fans on the other side and instead of paying for air conditioning they will just pump outdoor air in to air condition all the servers. It is a pretty big building. My office is on the left behind the trees.

One picture I forgot to grab was when we went to get me a cell phone and we were parking the car. We parked right by the local school. It was a typical European school with the courtyard being the playground. We peered through one of gates at recess (mind you it was pretty dark outside) and all the kids are out on the playground in snowsuits just playing with sleds and running around like it isn't 0 degrees Celsius out. It was neat to see. I don't think they believe in indoor recess here.

Next week I hope to manage a trip to the mine, the transloading facility, and Narvik. I hope to share more pictures between now and then but if these didn't make you want to jump on a plane and get over here I wanted to give you a little teaser of what is to come. I also hope to squeeze in a business meeting in Stockholm next week, as well as one in Norway the following so I'll be sure to document those trips. If anyone has any requests for pictures please feel free to post them in the comments.

1 comment: